Sunday, March 27, 2011

Learning Something New Everyday

On Friday morning an elder and her assistant came into the school and talked with the students. They posed the question "What do we use the land for"? The students then brainstormed different things. They came up with hunting, fishing, wood, medicine (I learned that they use this root (we can't remember the name) but they boil it and use it for colds and sore throats). Greg and I also learned that they use the "gum" from trees for toothaches. They shape it and put it around their tooth and it soothes the pain. The last thing they use it bear fat to soothe cuts.
Greg's grade 9's think that eating bear is disgusting. I didn't hear my grade 8's say anything about it. It was a nice presentation and it was great for the students to talk about their land. I really hope that more elders come in and talk about different Native traditions and culture with the student.

This is the Elder Obeak, here she is showing a beaver trap.

This is the beaver trap set up.
There were 3 different traps. They all looked the same but caught different things.

Oh yah I found out they hunt and eat lynx here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment