Friday, April 1, 2011

Grade 9 Culture Program

It has been a crazy long week. Last weekend was filled with planning and doing report cards. It feels like we have worked 2 weeks straight. On Wednesday afternoon and evening we had parent teacher interviews. They went pretty well. The rest of the week Greg and I felt like we were on auto pilot.
This week has been so warm. On Tuesday at 4pm it was +5. It has been so nice for it to be warm and light out. I really feel a more positive energy with the warmth and it staying light out longer. Here are some pictures from the last week.
One night this week we came home to find that our roof had been shovelled. The snow piled up so high right outside our back door. We can't even open our back door. Our apartment is the second from the right. I was going to walk around in the backyard to get a closer picture but when I tried and I stepped in the snow I was surprised to find the snow up to my waist. I could barely get my leg up out of the snow to step back. Needless to say I wasn't going to try and make the trek to our back door, so I took the this picture from the road running behind our house.

The following pictures are from the Grade 9 culture program today . We went out near the old Pow wow grounds. Here the students played broom ball and we roasted hotdogs and marshmallows. It took us about 20 minutes to drive to this spot. We went on the new road they are making to the Pow wow grounds (it is about a 2 hour boat ride in the summer). As we were driving I all of a sudden noticed we were going on the winter road (we had 3 vehicles, myself, Vicky and her husband were driving) I was not very thrilled about going on the road. It has been so warm this week and snow has been melting like crazy. On Wednesday I saw a notice on the TV that the winter road was not being maintained anymore and that you are to use it at your own risk.
As we were driving on the road I was praying as hard as I could. It was SO slushy and I could see big cracks in the ice and there was open water spots on either side of the road. The native teacher and her husband didn't seem worried but I was freaking and so were the students I was driving. Hope you enjoy the pictures of our fun Friday afternoon.
Three of the 5 grade 9 boys that went on the outing (2 of the boys were aways today).
The students finding a good spot on the ice to play broom ball. All the stuff in front of them is slush and water.
Deer Lake scenery
Broom ball! The girls in Deer Lake love playing broom ball. Conditions weren't great to play on the ice but they made the best of it.
Boys vs. Girls game!
Part of the new road at the old Pow wow ground.
One of the grade 9 girls!

Enjoying roasting marshmallows before we make our smores!

5 comments:

  1. Your new camera takes great pictures. Love seeing where you live your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if this is mom or dad making that comment. But I agree it takes awesome pictures. Thanks for commenting... no one has commented in a long time so we weren't sure if any one was reading it anymore. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire, I read all the time!! Keep posting! Even if it is just for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read all the time too! Your on my list of blogs to check in the morning when I get to work!

    ReplyDelete