Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Several Years Ago...

Just thought we would provide a reflection on the Alberta wildfire. About 5 or 6 years ago, Deer Lake experienced their own wildfire. There were six fires throughout the reserve which created a thick black smoke. The residents were evacuated to another reserve. It took over 30 airplanes and 4 days to do so. Apparently, you would just go to the airport and hope to get on the plane. Figures there wouldn't be much order or organization. The people were housed in a gym, but many found their way to family in Red Lake, Sioux Lookout, or another reserve. To fight the fire, water planes were flown in for an extended period of time. After being up here and seeing the area it is amazing there aren't more fires. The forests are so dry and dense. With big storms containing lightning, it would only take one bolt to ignite. And with no infrastructure to combat the flames, the fire would have free range for several days. The benefit is the amount of water for the planes to use. Anyways, I was just sitting here reading an article about the Alberta fire and figured I would relate some experiences I have recently heard.

Monday is now over, and all went well with the Ministry of Ed. She complimented us on our organization. Thank goodness, because we spent 7 hours on Saturday with thousands of papers and over 20 binders. The only recommendations she had was for the record keeping, a matter more for the school.

Well, the weather up here has been horrible of late. I thought I had experienced the worst of it with the minus 40, but we have had even worse weather. No, there isn't a cold snap or a rainstorm. We have had days of +27, +28 with HUMIDITY!!!! Disgusting, I know. I figured coming up here I would enjoy the modest warmth. Instead, the humidity has followed me. And to make matters worse, my allergies have started their yearly onslaught. Oh fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment