Sunday, October 3, 2010

Fundraising Auction

On Saturday the Grade 8s and 9s held an auction on our local television. The students brought anything they could donate to the station. Claire was the chauffeur, driving the sold items to the peope who won. I was the fortunate person stuck in front of the camera all afternoon. We had a table in front, selling three items at a time. Typically the auction round would last 10 minutes. For three hours I was wealing and dealing, broadcast live to over 800 people.

Need less to say, I will not be attempting a future career in broadcasting. My debut featured some mishaps, which several people would not let me forget. I was in charge of informing the viewers of the current prices, as well as answering the phone when more than one person was calling. One common mistake was the pronounciation of several names. In one particular case I was calling one person Gorba. Over live T.V., I was asking for a Gorba to phone, indicating where she wanted her purchase dropped off. It wasn't until some of the students, who were enjoying my mistake a little too much, noted that the person was actually called Forba. Honest mistake. Another mishap involved my countdown. When the round was finishing, I started my countdown: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 1, SOLD! A viewer soon phoned in, asking if I was really a teacher at the school. The student who answered the phone, without missing a beat, exclaimed, "he is my math teacher too! "


A photo of me in front of the desk. This is just the beginning, but you can sense the fear in my eyes.
Jack of All Trades. Who says a man can't multi-task?
This pretty much sums up the afternoon, me stuck in a room trying to do everything at once. Is that Forba on the phone?



Finally some help has arrived. Taylor (middle) saved me by answering the phones.
Altogether, we made $672 at the auction. Our fundraising total is already $3000. Pretty amazing since last year at the same time they had raised only $300.


4 comments:

  1. That is Hilarious Greg. I feel your pain. "And a math teacher too" That is great. Way to go. Is there a line up for autographs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't there a picture of Claire chaufeurring?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, there isn't. I was behind the camera too and Greg literally was behind that table on t.v. from 3-6, and I didn't even think of asking someone else to take a picture. lol. I had a lot of fun though and really bonded with a few of my students :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I love the sign in the background that says "Welcome to T.V. Station". I spend a very large amount of time at auctions and would much rather mine all be from the comfort of my own couch!

    ReplyDelete