Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Glory Season

Its been just over a week and school is back in full swing.  The first day of school was interesting as the busses didn't run (-49 with wind chill), and with the far majority of students coming from farms, the entire school only had 22 students.  Needless to say, my 5 students and I had a lot of fun playing a variety of games.  There haven't been too many surprises or differences than before Christmas.

I started my basketball team/intramurals this week.  My plan is to teach some basic basketball skills to those wanting them.  If after some time there is still a high level of participation and the skill level drastically improves, we will enter a team toward the District tournament.  Also starting this week is the school's curling program.  We are sending one team to Districts and I am the teacher attending.  Even though I don't have a wealth of knowledge I am giving pointers wherever I can.  It should be fun as our team has 5 excellent female curlers who are hoping to do very well.  And finally next week another teacher and myself will be starting our badminton practices for the upcoming tournament.  It sounds like a lot to handle, and maybe it is, but I am really enjoying getting out and participating anywhere and anyway I can.

Over the weekend I had a chance to go and see one of Carievale's minor hockey teams play.  They were the Grades 4 and 5, but only have 8 players on their team.  And they don't need anymore.  They are a perfect 12 for 12 this year.  It isn't too alarming that they have won every game, something that is accomplished quite regularly by teams in small leagues.  But digging a little deeper and one will find how dominant this team actually is.  In 12 games they have scored 246 goals (averaging 20.5 goals/game) and allowed 35 goals (2.92 goals/game).  The average scores of their games are 20-3!!!!!  Their worst game, or closest, was a real nail biting...17-3.  

Our church is voting on a Pastor this weekend.  He is an older man, originally from Markham, transplanted to Winnipeg working in missions at a larger church.  He was a guest paster before Christmas and we really enjoyed his message.  It would be nice to have a full time pastor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment