Saturday, June 9, 2012

I have been asked multiple times over the last 5 or 6 months about my feelings toward impending parenthood.  "Are you excited?"  "What are you feeling?"  "Does it seem real?"  With this being our first child I am entering a new stage in my life.  It actually isn't a stage at all because this is now going to be my life.  For the last 8 months life has gone on as normal, albeit a few changes.   Claire needs a hand now to get off the couch.  She leaves the bed a lot more during the night and odor has become a four letter word with Claire.  But something happened to me this Wednesday.  Parenthood began.  I realized this week what I am to do as a father.  For those that are unware, Claire had a doctors appointment and a red flag appeared.  A second ultrasound was needed and a meeting with a genetic counsellor.  It was concluded that the flag was due to a technical error and all should be fine. 

But in those long 48 hours I realized my duties.  First and foremost is to love this child unconditionally.  I have never seen, touched, held, hugged, or kissed this baby, but I have never loved something more.  I realized this week what family means.  Claire and I are fortunate to have the support of so many people who are a phone call away.  I realized what worrying over your child means.  The thought of your child being unhealthy or hurt is the worst feeling in the world.  *Sorry mom and dad for that time I went for a morning run. 

All in all, the rest of my life as a father started on Wednesday at 4:30 with a simple phone call.  With the help of family and friends and the support of a strong, loving wife, I can do this. 

1 comment:

  1. Just had lunch with Suz, she was telling me about this post. We both started crying ... Greg, you are an amazing Dad already. So glad to hear all is well.
    Cheers and have a happy baby!
    Kath

    ReplyDelete